No Longer Silent Protest
Organized to highlight the false claims of Exodus International, namely, that Homosexuality is “incompatible with Christianity” and that one can undergo therapy to manage their sexuality and live as a heterosexual. (Below are pictures with notes from the various speaker’s comments) Click HERE for a pdf of the Media Alert/Press Release.
– Exodus International’s history includes:
Flawed Ideology & Failed Therapy
– Yes, churches have the right to propagate their particular beliefs UNTIL those beliefs begin to harm people
– This is not about saving souls – it’s about destroying souls – and that’s what we’re here to protest today
THE RELIGIOUS UNDERSTANDING OF THE DAY – Rev. Dr. Vernon Meyer
– Historical Context of changing Biblical Understandings over time
– Slavery, Role of Women in Society (it was once believed they had no soul, etc.), Interracial Marriage, etc. We now know that these are not only naive, but harmful.
– Same is true surrounding Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual and Transgender People
– The religious understanding of Exodus International is naive and harmful to children and families
– Today, there is great dispute among Christians about Homosexuality
– What cannot be disputed is the depths of the love of God even for God’s Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual and Transgender Children
– And as Vernon so eloquently explained, Christianity has learned to reform itself when new understandings emerge
– We call on our colleagues inside to let the Spirit reform their hearts
– The therapies they espouse have been refuted by scientific study
– Every major medical body in the US, including the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American Medical Association, and the American Academy of Pediatrics
– state that the therapies espoused by Exodus do not work.
– Even more, these medical bodies believe that such therapies are harmful to the children and people exposed to them
Speaking from the perspective of a pastor who has seen the results:
– Incidence of Suicide increased in Teens
– Incidence of Addictions increases
– Hate motivated violence against LGBT people
– All of these fueled by the flawed ideology people are being “trained in” today
We call on our colleagues to dispense with using language that demonizes and vilifies God’s LGBT children.
In the love of Christ, we demand that they repent for the harm they are doing to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender children who hear their words as the words of Christ.
We are here today in the hope that, one day, no child will ever hear or believe that they are anything less than beloved of God, without regard to their orientation – something this “training” contradicts.
We believe Love will win out over all ideology that denigrates God’s children.
We pray that those in this training will have the eyes of their hearts opened and their minds enlightened by the Spirit of God that what they are doing is wrong.
Then, only then, will God’s love truly win out.